London is a city full of so many independent coffee shops waiting to be discovered! I’ve put together a list of my favourite coffee shops to pop open your laptop and get working! My schedule as a photographer takes me to corners all over the city and I often find myself in the middle of London in need of a great cafe to grab a coffee and a place to get some work done. In between appointments and shoots, it’s so easy to get sucked into Pret or any of the chain eateries, but I really try my hardest to support independent and more alternative places (I also really just don’t like Pret coffee or food, #Sorrynotsorry). Anyway I thought I would share this list with you so you can get bookmarking them on your Google maps when you’re in search of a good cup of brew… I find that the easiest way to do it, so when you’re in an area you can just open up your Google Maps app and see where the closest caffeine watering hole is!!
CENTRAL – Soho/Picadilly
- Aquavit – One of my favourite hideouts literally a stone’s throw from Piccadilly circus. It’s Swedish so expect delicious fish dishes, great Swedish buns and good coffee. Oh and the interior is not bad either!!
- Burberry – Part of the Burberry brand – the perfect place for a coffee and if you fancy a posh lunch, head on upstairs and enjoy!
- Farm Girl Carnaby – Farm Girl’s second opening. This is located above Sweaty Betty on Carnaby street and is made for us freelance laptop-addicted nomads!
- Salon 64– From the outside this might look like a salon, but not only can you get your hair done, but also you can simply pop in and prop up your computer, grab a cup of coffee and get some work done! No appointments necessary to stop by this salon-cum-café!
- New Elan cafe – This place has been an Instagram sensation. If you love a good flower wall then this is the spot for you – make sure you get there early if you want to avoid the busyness and queues leading up to lunch time!
- Boulestin – Closer to Green Park than Piccadilly, this is a very cute restaurant which is usually very quiet. I love their little chairs outside that give it a Parisian feel, but they do a great cappuccino and have a cosy interior perfect for an escape when it’s cold outside!
- Hotel Indigo – This is the new relatively unknown rooftop bar you NEED to visit. Their art deco bar on Leicester Square boasts an insane panorama of London – get yourself up there for a cocktail before the rest of the London does!!
CENTRAL – Bond St & Marble Arch
- Duke St Emporium – Fernandez & Wells have a little cafe inside the Jigsaw shop. I often take meetings here as Bond St is such a great station for me to get to!
- NAC – Great french foodie spot. I sometimes prop my laptop on their bar and get some work done. It’s not the quietest of spots but is a great place to grab a bite and catch up on emails. If you want to schedule in a lunch meeting, make sure you book in advance!
- Daisy Green – Cute little spot for working and grabbing a fresh salad or wrap. Vegan friendly!
- St Aymes – An Instagram happy place, but also a good spot for working and a warm cuppa if you’re in Marble Arch area.
- Aubaine, Selfridges – Many people know about this spot, but a lot visiting Selfridges don’t realise it is there. Expect lots of instagram moments and a great range of food to graze on!
- Feya Cafe – Just a 5 min walk up from Bond St station. Be impressed with their pretty cakes, delightful pastries and lattes decorated with flowers.
CENTRAL – Cov Garden & Tottenham Court Road
- Boki – This place is super instagrammable – a coffee shop/bar, so you can stay until the sun goes down and the coffee becomes wine!
- Dalloway Terrace & Coral Room – Most people know about Dalloway Terrace (who does some of my favourite seasonal decorations, changing up their flower display every quarter!) It’s the perfect space for brunch with your besties. The Art Deco Coral Room bar is not as well known and they do a mean cocktail (perfect to finish off a hard day’s work!!!)
- Spring cafe – This is located inside Somerset House on the Strand. I haven’t eaten at their restaurant (which is pink by the way) but I love their light and bright café where you can warm up with a pot of tea!
- Aster Victoria – This is one of the sister bars of Aquavit. I love the beautiful floral display as soon as you walk in. They do fabulous cocktails and a delicious Scandinavian afternoon tea!
- Railhouse Café – Loveeee their brunch here. They also have comfy sofas and do great coffee, perfect place to knuckle down and work.
- No. 11 Pimlico place – About a 7 min walk from Victoria, this is part of a group of restaurants, but love the interiors in all of them. I love this place for lunch and working. If you are located anywhere near Chiswick definitely check out one of their sister spots – No 197 Chiswick Fire Station – you’ll find lots of pink sofas and cacti!!!
- The Ned – You might be surrounded by finance gurus in suits, but if you’re in the area, pop into the Ned and head straight for Malibu Kitchen… You can work, grab a smoothie and probably snap a shot for the gram as well!! You can also have tea at Millie’s which is more cosy but another great spot to work!
- Leman Locke Hotel Café – Located just by Aldgate station, their interior decor is perfection!! Super cosy spot, love it.